Memories

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  palerether 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

kssilva
    Participant

I remember that my mom was a bad cook. She would serve us Spaghetti Os with microwaved cut up hot dogs in it. Imagine our surprise when Spaghetti Os started having cut up hot dogs right in the cans in the 80s. She invented that! Gross! She made tallarini. It’s basically spaghetti with a can of corn chucked into it. Yuck! She also had a boyfriend who would bring us bags of groceries, but not kid food groceries. The bag would be full of cous cous, sardines, lentils, multi-grain rice. She had no idea how to prepare it. She was a Tab and canned veggies type of woman. I guess the hippie food of the 70s passed our family. Later, in the 90s, my mom accused my sister and I of eating “twigs and bark” because we were vegan for a long time. Ha!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  kssilva.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  kssilva.

palerether
    Participant

My first real job was as a cashier in a natural foods store that was still deeply entrenched in 70s foodways — numerous moth-breeding bins, tofu delivered weekly in a large bucket, fresh carrot juice, stale herbs, and bee pollen that moved of its own volition. I loved it. Our clientele included plenty of current and former hippies, European immigrants in search of familiar foods, young punks, and people sent our way by various neighborhood rootworkers. I still miss our creamy cashew-tomato soup. I don’t think I have had its equivalent since.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.